I was recently in Bombay for a day and I visited the Kalaghoda Art festival, attended a talk on the emergence and evolution of public dining in the city and shared a table with a charming old couple over chai and bun maska! I did nothing spectacular but as I watched from my window the lights from the local trains speed away from me, I felt like I had spent a day with an old friend, and we had discovered that our bond was still the same!
My heart still beats in Bombay, and understandably so; it is the city that showed me my wings and a city of many firsts for me,
1) The first time I lived away from home; alone and independent!
3) My first real job, first salary and colleagues that became family!
4) The first time I had a house to myself and later the first time I had flat mates; friends for a lifetime now!
5) Volunteering for the aid of stray dogs; bringing them home in the monsoons, cleaning maggots from their wounds, the first time I felt like my life was really useful!
6) The first (and only) time I quit my well paying Government job to find out what drives me and work towards it.
7) The first time I lived only for myself! All the plans were mine and so was all the laziness!
8) The first time I felt safe enough to climb into a cab after a night of drinking and head home.
9) The first time I didn't feel the need to dress a particular way or behave a certain way because I am a woman.
10) Being in a city where nobody knew me, it was the first time I let go of my inhibitions and was completely myself and in being so I discovered many new facets to who I am!
Bombay will always be special to me and I do hope that someday I will live here again and have many more life altering first time experiences!